Feijoada is one of the most popular dishes in Brazil. It’s a classic and we love it!
Feijoada is a stew made of black beans, beef and pork. In school we learn that the slaves, brought to Brazil by the Portuguese, created Feijoada with the left over meats they’d get from their owners. They used to toss whatever came their way into the beans.
My version of the stew is very flavourful but a bit simpler to make. This is a dish more easily made with a pressure cooker since the beans can take a while to soften. Remember to serve it with rice!
- 2 1/4 cups of black beans, rinsed and soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1/3 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup of fresh green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup of mint, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of fresh garlic
- salt (add a little bit at a time and taste it until it gets to your liking)
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 375 grams of smoked bacon
- 2 smoked sausages (beef or pork, whichever you prefer)
- 4 bay leaves
- Fry the bacon in a pan and set it aside. Once cooled, break them into smaller pieces
- Fry the onions, garlic, parsley, green onions and mint in the same pan you used for the bacon, re-using the left over fat from it and set aside
- Add 9 cups of water to the pressure cooker
- Add the beans and the bay leaves to the cooker and put it on the stove over medium temperature. Once it boils, add the fried bacon, the fried herbs, the salt, pepper and the sausages (no need to fry them)
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker. Once it starts making its characteristic sound (mine is old school) I leave it cooking for 35 minutes
- Once the 35 minutes are up, I bring the cooker to the sink and add a fork below its steam vent to release the pressure, then I open it to check if the beans have soften. If they have, taste it and check if it needs more salt
- If the beans aren’t soft yet, cover the pressure cooker with the lid and continue cooking for another 10 – 15 minutes. Repeat the steps to safely open it
- Once the beans are soft continue cooking them without the lid for another 5 minutes to thicken its broth
- Serve it with rice and enjoy!