A long weekend calls for special meals shared with friends and family. I invited some of my closest friends over for lunch today so we can share some good times together and re-energize ourselves before the official start of the week.
I had an idea of what I wanted for my main but I wasn’t sure what to prepare for dessert. It occurred to me that I’ve never made a banana cake before. I don’t enjoy peeling a banana and eating it on its own but I do love banana cake and banana bread.
I wanted to try something different so I thought the cake would go well with a dulce de leche topping. This is a new recipe that I just tried for the first time and the original recipe in Portuguese can be found here (I have made minor adjustments so it’s slightly different).
In case you’re wondering, I’m serving this cake today with vanilla ice-cream.
- 4 medium bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 table spoon of Magic Baking Powder
- 395 grams of Dulce de leche (the recipe to make it at home in the pressure cook can be found here)
- 1 can of thick cream (170 ML)
- PAM to grease the cake pan
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- Separate the yolk from the egg whites
- In a bow, whip the egg whites to firm peaks and set aside
- In a different bowl mix well the bananas with the yolks, sugar, oil, all purpose flour and cinnamon
- Add the Magic Baking Powder and slowly incorporate it to the mix
- Lastly, add the egg whites and also slowly incorporate it to the cake mix
- Add the mix to the greased pan and put it in the oven for approximately 30 minutes. Keep an eye on it and it will be ready when you stick a tooth pick in the cake and it comes out dry
- Mix the dulce de leche with the thick cream and cover the cake
Tips for a perfect cake:
- In order to get a lighter cake you can sift the sugar, the all purpose flour and the Magic Baking Podwer
- Don’t open the oven for at least 20 minutes to ensure the cake is cooked all the way through
- Wait until the cake has cooled to remove it from the pan. It can break if removed from the pan while still warm