Tomorrow we’re having lunch with the hubby’s parents and my mother-in-law cooks really well. I love her food but lately I have been on a strict diet so I haven’t been enjoying her amazing cooking.
I decided to make a simple cake for the family to enjoy for dessert. If you also want to bring a smile to your mother-in-law’s face, try taking this cake to your next family get together.
This recipe I grabbed from a Brazilian site. The topping I decided to add on my own. I was looking for a chocolate topping that hardens when it gets cold. I was able to find it here and decided to try it.
Ingredients for the cake
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 table spoons of margarine
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 table spoons of chocolate mix (I used Quick)
- 1 table spoon of magic powder
Ingredients for the topping
- 1 table spoon of margarine
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 5 table spoons of chocolate mix (I used quick)
- 4 table spoons of sugar
Directions for the cake
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- Separate the yolk from the egg whites
- In a bow, whip the egg whites to firm peaks and set aside
- Mix the yolk with the sugar and margarine
- Add the milk and the all-purpose flour
- Add the magic powder and slowly incorporate it to the mix
- Lastly, add the egg whites and also slowly incorporate them to the cake mix
- I used a loaf pan and turns out I had left over batter so I also made some cupcakes. Make sure you grease the pan before you add the batter.
- Add the cake to the oven.
- It’s ready when you add a toothpick to the cake and it comes out dry (30 to 40 minutes, even less if you divide the batter like I did)
- Always let the cake cool before removing it from the pan.
Directions for the topping
Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and mix well. Bring it to the stove top and stir for about 10 to 15 minutes. Let it boil and when you turn the pan and notice that the mix is coming off the bottom it’s ready. Add to the cake while warm.